Monday, June 17, 2013

Northern Arizona

I spent this past weekend in the area around Payson, Arizona. The last time I visited the area was when my Ph.D. supervisor invited a bunch of us to the cabin that he and his wife built. I call it a cabin but it has been referred to as the Chateau of Fun. On the recent trip I got to spend some time in the area seeing the Tonto Natural Bridge, the Strawberry SchoolhouseFossil Creek Creamery, and the Mogollon rim.

The natural bridge was awesome! Standing underneath it was like standing in a light rain shower as the water fell from the rocks above. The cold water felt good on such a warm day. It wasn't very strenuous to walk down to except for the little scary part where the rocks were very slick.




We walked the shorter Waterfall trail too:



 
After stopping for ice cream in Strawberry, AZ I took these pictures of the outside and inside of the Strawberry schoolhouse. This is "the oldest standing school in Arizona".
















There were some amusing rules for teachers posted on the walls. Apparently men could only go courting one night a week, unless they were a regular church goer, in which case they could court twice a week.

The last stop of Saturday before returning to Payson for the night was the Fossil Creek Creamery. I've enjoyed samples of their goat cheese at a local store.



Goats!



We spent a little of Sunday afternoon at the Mogollon Rim. The rim offered splendid views of the Tonto National Forest.




I wish I could remember the name of the lake (Wood's canyon lake, I think). People were out fishing but don't know how much luck they were having. A fun weekend!

No comments: