Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pickles, Dill



It is strange to say that going on vacation gave me a pickle craving.  I acknowledge I am weird so let's move on.  I had homemade pickles made by my hosts in Wisconsin and one of their friends.  My hosts pickles were fairly standard dill pickles.  The other batch I sampled were provided at a potluck we went to.  As soon as I bit into the pickle I said, "Ooo the brine has cinnamon in it."  That was a new experience for me.  So when I came home I decided to make a batch of pickles.   I've made bread and butter pickles before, but I wanted to try dill pickles this time.  The restriction was that the recipe needed to be for refrigerator pickles.  Some day I will be brave enough to try canning.  If I ever live somewhere cool I may even take a crack at making pickles in a crock.

Here is a link to the dill pickle recipe I settled on.  Easy enough to make except for finding pickling spice.  Neither store I went to had it stocked with all the other spices.  I thought I was out of luck but then it dawned on me to check the bulk spice area of the second store.  Whew!  They had it in stock and oddly their pickling spice has pieces of cinnamon stick in it.  (Yes, I will be checking the bulk spice section of the first store I went to.)

It all got put together and packed in jars last Saturday so now the wait begins until they have pickled enough to try.

No comments: